World Oceans Day at Kon-Tiki Krabi
Our Oceans, Our Future
On World Ocean Day we headed to the Phi Phi Island Marine Park in the Andaman Sea with divers from all over the world. Led by our own local Divemaster, Yut, and assisted by Instructors Fran and Till, and supported by the Petchmanee crew, guests scoured the ocean across two dive sites on Phi Phi Ley for trash – and look what they found!
35kg of trash, plus a ghost net (abandoned fishing net)!
Many thanks for your efforts - Mark and Michael from Germany; Julien from the UK; Adithya and Chaithanya from India; and Qing Shan from China.
Everyday actions you can take to help the Ocean and the Planet
- Dive responsibly – develop good buoyancy control and do not touch the reef with your hands or your fins
- Use reusable containers for drinks, such as water and coffee. Some cafes will even give you a discount if you bring your own cup!
- Only eat seafood that are sustainably fished – more information here PDF pocket guide, searchable site, Android app or iOS app and leave these fish off your plate for good.
- Choose non-toxic cleaning products, like vinegar and bicarbonate/baking soda
- Use reef-safe sunscreens – some featured here http://scubadiverlife.com/top-four-reef-safe-sunscreens/
June 8 World Ocean Day
Following this year’s annual theme, Kon-Tiki diving invites you to participate in “Our Oceans, Our Future” cleanup project.
All divers this day will be invited to help the environment by cleaning up the dive sites that we visit. Right now, rubbish is a constant threat to marine life.
Ways to combat further plastic in our oceans it is important to know where it comes from and how it gets there in the first place. Project Aware, an organization dedicated to cleaning up the world’s oceans, has put together this insightful video:
Taking Action Against Marine Debris
Project Aware lists these as the top ten ways that you can reduce your environmental impact and help save our oceans as a diver:
- Be a Buoyancy Expert
- Be a Diving Role Model
- Take Only Photos - Leave Only Bubbles
- Protect Underwater Life
- Become a Debris Activist
- Make Responsible Seafood Choices
- Take Action
- Be an Eco-tourist
- Shrink Your Carbon Footprint
- Give Back
To download the full list, click here.
Do you part by signing up today!